What is The Fast Metabolism Diet?
The Accelerated Metabolism Diet, created by the American nutritionist Haylie Pomroy, is a plan that allows you to lose up to 10 kg in 28 days, and above all, repair your metabolism.
However, the plan can be complicated to understand, some foods are difficult to find in certain countries and it is important to know how to organize yourself so that you do not spend all day cooking.
In this guide, I will explain how to follow the diet in a simple way and get the most out of this plan.
Let’s see where you start!
CHAPTER 1: How does the Fast Metabolism Diet work?
The Fast Metabolism Diet is a 28-day (1 cycle) plan whose main objective is to repair your metabolism, this is what it is all about; essentially it is a way of eating abundant, healthy, and varied, which offers your body those foods that it really needs. Losing weight is the pleasant consequence of your metabolism starting to work properly.
In fact, one of the main reasons it’s so hard to lose weight is having a slow metabolism; Although there may be a genetic factor that more or less influences our metabolism, there are some factors that we must all take into account.
- Avoid junk food that slows down our metabolism: when I talk about junk food I mean those foods that contain all kinds of sugars, refined flours and unhealthy fats. This type of food ends up being transformed into fat that our body stores.
- Eating more : Although it may seem counterintuitive, eating more (healthy) food and more times a day is much more effective than eating just two leaves of lettuce. The explanation for this is that our metabolism needs energy to repair itself, a lot of energy, much more than a hypocaloric diet will give us.
- Playing sports : sports, apart from being a natural “antidepressant” (since our body secretes endorphins and that gives us a good mood) is an excellent way to speed up our metabolism and build muscle mass.
- Do not stress : Although it may seem that it is not related, one of the things that contributes the most to weight loss is stress. Not only because it can lead us to eat out of craving, but also because when we are stressed our body does not work well.
As I have already said, this diet lasts at least 28 days which correspond to 1 cycle. Each cycle has 4 weeks and each week is divided into three phases. Each of them has specific characteristics and objectives. In each phase, certain types of food are eaten. CHAPTER 3 of the book The Fast Metabolism Diet is dedicated to the detailed explanation of the phases, here I propose a summary and the meal map:
- PHASE 1: grains + fruits
- PHASE 2: Proteins + alkaline vegetables
- PHASE 3: Healthy fats
While Phase 1 breakfast is just Fruit + Grain, Haylie says protein can be added if needed ( reference ).
Only and exclusively in the F3 breakfast, nuts and dried fruit cream can count as much as healthy fat as protein. If you want you can add more protein ( reference ).
While “healthy fat/protein” appears in the book, Haylie specifies on her website that F3 SNACKS focus on healthy fats and vegetables; meanwhile, in the main meals of F3, it is important to include both healthy fats and proteins ( reference ). If you are very hungry and decide to eat both in your snack, fat, and protein, remember that the protein portion should be half ( reference ).
Phase 1 lasts two days and is designed to assimilate and transform food into energy. In addition, this phase, thanks to the presence of natural sugars, has the result of calming the adrenal glands.
It is the phase with the highest GI, abundant in fruits and cereals with a medium glycemic index, it is moderate in protein and low in fat. At least one cardio workout is planned in this phase .
Here you can find all my recipes for Phase 1 .
Phase 2, to equal the 1 lasts two days, your main goal is to release the accumulated fat.
It is the phase with less calories and more proteins, it foresees that only proteins of animal origin and alkaline vegetables are consumed . Vegetables are even more important in this phase as they help maintain our PH. In this phase at least one anaerobic training is planned .
Here you can find all my recipes for Phase 2 .
Phase 3 lasts three days and aims to transform fat released during Phase 2 energy.
It is a phase high in healthy fats, moderate in protein, very moderate in grains, and with low GI fruits. In this phase, at least one session of physical activity is planned to relax our body.
Here you can find all my recipes for Phase 3 .
Each Body Has its Rhythm
Obviously, it is perfectly normal that not everyone can reach their ideal weight in 4 weeks, especially if they have to lose a lot of kilos, but it is not a problem, because there is no time limit, you can continue doing this diet until you reach your goal.
When you have arrived, you can move on to the maintenance phase, but I will talk about this later, in the section on maintenance.
The fast metabolism diet may seem a bit complicated at first, but it is only a matter of understanding it well and above all, getting organized. Like I always say.
This plan can be as easy or difficult as you like.
EPISODE 2: The Secrets To Follow The Fast Metabolism Diet
Despite its name, I do not see fast metabolism as a diet, I see it and live it as a healthy lifestyle, with fundamental rules that must be respected.
These rules are the ones that must be respected while you are following fast metabolism, when you reach your ideal weight you can move on to maintenance, which is more flexible, if you want more information you can read the section on maintenance .
What to do
- Eat 5 times a day: the three main meals (breakfast, lunch, and dinner) and two snacks (one mid-morning and one mid-afternoon).
- Eat every 2, 3, or 4 hours: the minimum time between one meal and the other has to be 2 hours, while the maximum time has to be 4 hours. Obviously, while you are sleeping this rule does not apply.
- Eat breakfast in the first half-hour after waking up: not only can you NOT skip breakfast, but you have to eat breakfast in the first half-hour after waking up every day. This allows your metabolism to kick in immediately. If, for example, you wake up at 7:00 a.m. to 7:30 a.m., how late, you have to have breakfast.
- Waking up is not the same as getting up: if you wake up at 7:00 a.m. but stay in bed until 8:00 a.m. trying to go back to sleep, no problem. On the contrary, if you wake up at 7:00 a.m. and stay in bed until 8:00 a.m. reading, looking at your mobile, or watching TV, you are late for breakfast. This is because your brain is already activating and all activities (even looking at your mobile) require energy.
- Tip: if you are in a hurry you can exchange the mid-morning snack with breakfast, to go faster and eat breakfast at mid-morning.
- Follow the plan for at least 4 weeks: repairing the metabolism is not a matter of a day, to do it our body needs at least 28 days. It is important not to interrupt the plan, even if you have reached your weight before finishing the first cycle. From the first cycle, you can continue as long as you want until you reach your weight.
- Tip: If you have a lot of kilos to lose, to avoid getting tired of being on a diet (especially on a psychological level), you can intersperse each cycle with 1 week of maintenance, but without reintroducing prohibited foods.
- Respect the foods of each phase: each phase has its foods, some are in more than one phase and others are not. And you don’t have to mix them.
- Tip: Keep in mind that you can find differences between the list and the book since the latter has translation errors and is not up to date with the changes that Haylie has made over time.
- Respect the order of the phases: The order of the phases is also essential, they cannot be changed or reversed, the scheme must always be 2 days of Phase 1, 2 days of Phase 2, and 3 days of Phase 3. For convenience, It usually matches F1 with Monday and Tuesday, F2 with Wednesday and Thursday, and F3 with Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, but it doesn’t have to be that way. You can start the diet on the day of the week you prefer.
- Drink 1/3 of your weight in dl of water: calculating the amount of water you should drink is very easy, you just have to divide your weight by 3; For example, if you weigh 80 kg you will have to drink 27 dl of water (the result of the operation is 26.66, but we can round it to 27). 27 dl of water = 2.7 liters. This operation indicates the minimum amount of water to drink each day, if you want to drink more water there is no problem, especially in summer. Keep in mind that if you drink infusions you do not have to count them in your amount of water.
- Consume BIO products: although it is not always possible, it is highly advisable to eat biological products to avoid introducing unwanted chemical substances into our body.
- Tip: don’t be fooled by the labels. The fact that a label is written “natural”, “without parabens”, “without added sugars” and other similar formulas, does not mean that this product is allowed in fast metabolism diet or that it is BIO. The only way to recognize a Bio product is for it to carry an organic certification.
- Consume meat without nitrites or nitrates: nitrites and nitrates are substances that are normally added to sausages and meats to keep them longer. The problem is that they make our body take longer to break down the fat in meat. For this reason, the labels of all products must always be read well. Nitrites and nitrates are usually found on labels with one of two formulas:
- With the terms “nitrite”, “nitrate”, “sodium nitrite”, “potassium nitrate”, “sodium nitrite” and the like.
- With the 4 formulas “E-249”, “E-250”, “E-251” and “E-252”.
- Exercise according to the phase: sport is a very important factor, both for our metabolism and for our mood. Each phase has a different type of training. It is essential to train at least three times a week (one in each phase), following the instructions for each of the phases. Read more in the Physical Activity section
What NOT To Do
- NO to wheat: wheat is one of the cereals with the highest Glycemic Index (GI). It is also genetically modified to be more resistant and this makes it more difficult to digest. The only exception is sprouted wheat.
- NO to corn: corn, like wheat, has a very high GI and is highly modified, in practice, corn is a concentrate of sugars that are directly transformed into fat reserves in our body.
- NO to milk and its derivatives: by this, we mean all products derived from milk and all products that contain lactose. The release of sugar from lactose in our body is incredibly fast and the sugar-fat-protein ratio of cheeses is not good for metabolism, not to mention that it alters our hormonal balance.
- On Calcium: If you are concerned about calcium intake, I recommend reading this article by Haylie on fast metabolism foods with calcium.
- NO to soybeans: Like wheat and corn, most commercially available soybeans are genetically modified. Still, the most important reason not to consume soy is that it contains plant estrogens that are very similar to those produced by our body. The only exception are tofu, tempeh, and edamame, which can be consumed by vegans and Ovo-Lacto vegetarians but only in Phase 2.
- NO to refined sugars – Refined sugars are an incredible ready-to-use source of energy, but the sugars that we don’t use go straight into our fat stores. Even certain natural sugars that are much healthier than white sugar, such as honey or coconut sugar, raise our blood glucose too high, and for this reason, they are not allowed.
- NO to caffeine: by this, we mean all products that contain caffeine: coffee, decaffeinated coffee (yes, it also contains), tea, teas, teas, infusions with theine, coke, energy drinks, mate, etc. Caffeine stresses our adrenal glands, which are responsible for keeping blood glucose under control, regulating adrenaline, controlling the accumulation of sugars, building muscle mass, and much more. For this reason, we must prevent this from happening. Although it is true that coffee can help us to be less hungry, the stress it causes to our body is a lot, in addition, in the Fast Metabolism Diet we eat enough to not be hungry at any time.
- Tip: if you have questions about a product on the internet there are many pages with lists of foods with caffeine. I personally advise this search engine.
- NO to alcohol: any alcoholic drink raises our blood glucose quickly because they are full of sugar. In addition, drinking alcohol is an extra effort for our liver and is not advisable.
- NO to juices and dehydrated or dried fruit: dried or dehydrated fruit is full of sugars and the few fibers it has are digested very quickly. Juices (or juices), both industrial and homemade, are not allowed because all the fibers are lost, which are precisely those that slow down the entry of sugars into our blood.
- Tip: A quick and easy way to eat fruit is to make phase fruit smoothies.
- NO to artificial sweeteners: fast metabolism only consumes natural foods, so all artificial sweeteners are prohibited. If you want to sweeten, better bet on natural sweeteners such as pure stevia, birch xylitoland monk fruit extract, which are the only ones allowed in fast metabolism.
- NO to diet or light food: in general, industrial foods that are diet or light contain a series of artificial components that are not good for our body. That something contains few calories does not mean that it is healthy, much better to consume “real food”. The only exception are miracle noodles(also called Konjac or Shirataki Pasta) that have recently reached the West and are considered a dietary food because it has few calories. Actually, these noodles are very natural, they only contain water and konjac flour (an Asian plant with a high amount of fiber).
Just as each phase has its own meal and food schedule, it also has its own physical activity. Playing sports is really essential to lose weight, as it helps in a decisive way to accelerate our metabolism.
In the book, Haylie clearly states that you should train at least 3 times a week , once in each phase. If you want to do more workouts in a week, no problem.
- PHASE 1: at least one cardio workout must be done, which can be running, cycling, aerobics, Zumba, step, and other workouts of this type. If you want to train at home, a good option may be to jump rope.
- PHASE 2: at least one anaerobic training must be performed, that is weights, with high weight and fewer repetitions. If you want to train at home, a good option may be to perform exercises (possibly with some weight) such as push-ups, sit-ups, squats, planks, etc.
- Tip: If you can’t do the classic push-ups, remember that you can do push-ups using your knees instead of your feet.
- PHASE 3: You should do at least one relaxing workout, such as yoga, meditation, breathing exercises, or even a good massage. A good option for those who usually go out of the city on the weekend is a good walkthrough nature.
Although physical activity is really important, it is also essential not to injure yourself; do not try to do more than you can, especially if you have a lot of kilos to lose. Haylie Pomroy herself, advises those who are not trained to start with 20 or 30 minutes of cardio and gradually increase until you can reach the time. With the weights it is the same, trying to lift more weight than you can is dangerous, it is always better to go gradually. If you have the possibility, it is highly advisable to hire a personal trainer.
CHAPTER 3: How To know what you Have To Eat
Unlike other diets, the fast metabolism diet has many foods to choose from.
This makes it a 100% customizable diet in which no one is forced to eat something they don’t like .
In addition, many of the foods that are provided in Fast Metabolism Diet can be curious or unknown to us, surely more than one person will find that some of these foods have never tried them, so this can also be a good opportunity to discover new things .
As I have said before, each phase has its food and portions, and they cannot be mixed. From experience, I know this is what confuses dieters the most, as the list of foods is long.
Even people like me who have been following fast metabolism for a long time, we can sometimes mistake a phase food.
That is why I created the Masterfood .
It is a free tool in which you can check the foods allowed in each phase and their portions.
I recommend you always look for food in the Masterfood . If you need help to know how it works, check this link: How Masterfood works .
Because Masterfood has differences from the list in the book
The book The Fast Metabolism Diet It is the most important tool to do Fast Metabolism Diet and you should always have it on hand to answer questions. Still, two very important factors must be taken into account when consulting the food list in the book:
Another important thing to note is that this book came out a few years ago, but Haylie has been adding new foods to theast Metabolism over time. She is very active in social networks and many people from different countries ask her about different foods, so there are foods that still do not appear in the book, they are allowed in Fast Metabolism.
Here is an example: Haylie initially did not include rye in Fast Metabolism because in the United States it was difficult to find 100% rye products, but over time, Fast Metabolism has reached other countries where rye is more common and even the market has gone changing and now it is much easier to find 100% rye products and healthier in general.
Still, if you find a mismatch between the information Haylie offers and the Masterfood, or you think I’ve missed an update, please tell me and I will review it immediately. I will always appreciate all the help and information you want to offer me.
In the Fast Metabolism DIET, there are only two types of servings:
- -10, for those who want to lose less than 10 kilos
- +10, for those who want to lose more than 10 kilos
- The portions for +10 are those of -10 plus average, for example the portion of fruit for -10 is 1 cup of fruit since the portion for +10 is the same plus half more portion, that is 1 cup and 1 / 2 of fruit and the same with all foods.
Surely you are wondering “how is that possible?”. The explanation is that our metabolism needs a lot of energy to repair itself, much more than a hypocaloric diet will give us, and this is achieved by eating more.
Let’s continue with the portions:
If you want to lose more than 20 kilos , the portions are the same as for +10 but 1 cup of vegetables is added in each main meal and 1/2 in the snacks, every 10 kilos.
The portions that appear in the Masterfood are per meal . Still, it is always important to read the notes of all foods, because there are some exceptions. Here you can see how to read the notes .
The phase vegetables are unlimited , the portion that appears in the Masterfood is the minimum portion that should be eaten in each meal or snack that requires vegetables, that is, you can eat more vegetables than indicated, but not less.
You can eat phase vegetables freely throughout the day, either by adding them to a meal that doesn’t include them or by eating them between meals. You can mix the phase vegetables freely.
How To Measure Food
In Fast Metabolism, food is not weighed, it is measured by volume.
The unit of measurement is the CUP, the measuring cup used in the United States. The cup is a standard measure that corresponds to any glass, mug or bowl with a capacity of 240 ml.
IMPORTANT: 240 ml DO NOT correspond to 240 gr .
Personally, I recommend the first type, where different measures already come, they are the most comfortable to use and store. You can find all kinds of cups on Amazon.
To make it easier to measure portions, I have written this article about cups, their measurements, and their conversions.
IMPORTANT: The only exceptions to the use of cups are for meat and fish, which are weighed; eggs and egg whites, which go per unit; the bread, which is sliced; and some other food such as oil or nut cream, which goes by tablespoons. The subject is complicated a bit with the fruits, since some are measured by unit, like apples or kiwis, and others by cups, like blueberries and melon. Here is a small outline to make it clearer:
In this blog, there are more than 150 recipes published, all of them suitable for Fast Metabolism.
Also, every week I send a new one via email. Subscribe, it’s free!
CHAPTER 4: How And When To check your Progress
It may seem irrelevant, but weighing yourself at the right time is just as important as sticking to your diet. The reason is that, as I mentioned at the beginning of this guide, a stressed body does not work well. We want to lose weight, perfect!
But do we really think that one day of dieting is going to change anything?
Well, in many cases, it is possible that yes: the first thing that is lost, in all diets, are liquids , but to really start losing the accumulated fat in our body it takes a little longer.
So why spend the day after starting the diet? And the other? And the other?
When to weigh you
Often times, we are tempted to weigh ourselves every day, but this only creates anxiety and stress.
It is perfectly normal for the weight to fluctuate , even from one day to the next, sometimes it goes up, sometimes it goes down. This does not mean that the plan is not working or that you have done something wrong. Many people when seeing that one day they have gained weight, even if it is only a few grams, they get frustrated, stressed and in the end they end up skipping a meal, feeling bad or leaving the diet.
None of these things help you lose weight.
To demonstrate how much weight can change in 28 days, in one of the fast metabolism DIET cycles I did, I weighed myself daily:
As you can see from this graph, although the peso is constantly rising and falling , the overall trend is down .
Remember also that losing weight is not just about losing weight. In many cases, especially when doing a lot of sports, it is possible to maintain weight and lose weight, since muscle weighs twice as much as fat. That is why it is important to take the measures to verify the results.
Therefore, to avoid stressing yourself, Haylie advises weighing yourself and taking measurements (waist, hip, arm, chest, leg) at the beginning and end of each cycle, and for the 28 days of the cycle to forget about the scale and meter.
Still, many of us find it difficult, so if you want you can weigh yourself and take measurements once a week, for example on the first day of F1.
Tip: Both weighing and measuring yourself is best done in the morning, before breakfast.
Fast Metabolism Diet And women
When it comes to losing weight, women always have to remember that our hormones play a very important role. For this reason, it is essential not to get discouraged and accept that there are situations that make weight loss more difficult. For example, when you have the rule, they retained more liquid, so that it is not only more difficult to lose weight these days, but even you can get up 1 or 2 kilos.
In reality, all the hormonal changes that our body undergoes (ovulation, menopause, etc.) drive our hormones crazy and influence our weight. Nothing happens. The important thing is to be aware that there may be small variations in our weight and, above all, do not be discouraged!
Fast Metabolism Diet in couple
If on the one hand, it is great for a couple to start the diet at the same time, on the other hand, it is necessary to remember that each person is different, which means that our bodies will not react in the same way. There will be people who take longer and others who take less time to reach their goals. In particular, I want to highlight the fact that men tend to lose weight more quickly than women, due to hormonal issues.
Do not stress if your partner loses weight more quickly, it is very normal. The important thing is to always be determined to follow.
If you reach your goal before 28 days, do not leave the cycle halfway, arrive until day 28. You must always keep in mind that the objective of the Fast Metabolism Diet is to repair our metabolism.
CHAPTER 5: Fast Metabolism Diet For Everyone
Thanks to the wide variety of foods allowed in the Fast Metabolism Diet, this diet is suitable for everyone, including people with diabetes and pregnant women.
The key is knowing how to substitute foods to suit your needs while maintaining phases and portions.
If you have any type of food intolerance or any questions about the foods you can eat, do not hesitate to consult your doctor .
Fast Metabolism Diet For Diabetics
If you are diabetic you will have to make some changes to your meal map. Here are Haylie’s suggestions for Type 1 and Type 2 diabetics:
- Breakfast: add phase vegetables and between 10 and 15 gr. of protein (for example 2 or 3 egg whites or about 60 grams of turkey bacon), to slow down the delivery of sugar to your bloodstream.
- Snacks: Choose low-glycemic fruit, such as wild berries, Asian pears (nashi), grapefruit (grapefruit), or apples, and add phase vegetables.
- Food (lunch): replace your grain with a starchy vegetable, such as sweet potato (sweet potato) or legumes. Depending on your blood sugar response, you can replace the grain at lunch or dinner, or just one.
- Sugar control: Along with your normal control, monitor your blood sugar level before going to sleep and again in the morning. The values should be the same, but if it is higher in the morning, it means that your body is accessing sugar from somewhere. To prevent it from happening, add a snack of about 10 gr. of protein before bed.
Include lots of lemon and lots of lime in all your meals, despite being a very low glycemic index fruit, it naturally contains a little fructose.
If your blood sugar is still low, add a low-glycemic fruit to your meal (lunch), for example, grapefruit (grapefruit), Asian pear (nashi), or berries.
Make sure to eat plenty of vegetables, as vegetables contain carbohydrates, although to a lesser extent than grains and fruits. Vegetables like leeks and onions, for example, contain quite a few carbohydrates.
- Do not skip the fruit for any reason, especially at breakfast. The fruit in this phase is already low glycemic.
- Just like in Phase 1, measure your blood sugar levels, before going to sleep and again in the morning. If it is higher in the morning, add a snack of about 10 grams. of protein before bed.
- Note: in case you are taking statins for high cholesterol, do not eat grapefruit, as it interferes with statins.
In case of doubts, always consult your doctor.
Fast Metabolism Diet for celiacs
Although the fast metabolism diet is not a gluten-free diet, you can do it without problems if you are celiac. Many of the allowed cereals are gluten-free:
- For Phase 1: Brown and wild rice, Teff, Sorghum, Millet, Amaranth, Buckwheat, Quinoa, Oats
- For Phase 3: Wild Rice, Sorghum, Quinoa, Oats
- Keep in mind that there are products that, although they do not contain gluten naturally, may have been contaminated during the cultivation or manufacturing process.
- An excellent example is oats, but remember that there are other foods that can be contaminated, even if they are not cereals. For this reason, if you are celiac, you should pay close attention to the labels and buy only products that clearly state that they DO NOT contain gluten.
Fast Metabolism Diet For Vegetarians
Both Phase 1 and Phase 3 are fairly easy for vegetarians to follow, as both eggs (whites only in F1) and legumes are allowed in these phases. The real challenge is presented in Phase 2, which does not foresee vegetable protein (apart from isolated pea protein, allowed in each phase).
If you are vegetarian in the sense that you do not eat meat, but if you eat eggs and fish, you will not have any problem in Phase 2 since you will simply have to avoid meat but you can eat egg whites, fish allowed in F2 and isolated pea protein.
If you are ovo-Lacto vegetarian, Haylie grants, only and exclusively in F2, the exception to rule 4 ” NO to Soy “, so that you can also eat tofu, tempeh, and edamame, if possible BIO.
Haylie says: Keep in mind that consuming a lot of soy products can slow weight loss.
Fast Metabolism Diet for vegans
If you are vegan, both in Phase 1 and Phase 3 you can eat legumes as protein.
For vegans, Haylie grants, only and exclusively in Phase 2, the exception to the rule ” NO to Soy “; so as protein you can eat tofu, tempehand edamame, if possible BIO.
Haylie says: Keep in mind that consuming a lot of soy products can slow weight loss.
Fast Metabolism Diet And Pregnancy
You are pregnant? Congratulations! It’s great that you are creating a new life.
It may not be the best time to start a diet, but it is always a good time to eat healthy, in fact, there is no better decision for your baby than choosing to eat well during pregnancy. In this regard, Haylie typically recommends the following to women who wish to pursue fast metabolism diet during pregnancy:
- Simply abide by the fundamental rules of the fast metabolism diet and follow the Phase 3 meal map.
- Add an extra protein as the pregnancy progresses:
- 1º quarter: 60 gr of extra protein per day
- 2nd quarter: 80 g of extra protein per day
- 3rd quarter: 100 g of extra protein per day
- Keep in mind that 100 grams of chicken breast have approximately 31 grams of protein.
IMPORTANT: Always check with your doctor before making any changes to your diet.
Fast Metabolism Diet And Lactation
After having a child, many women decide to start a diet immediately to lose the weight they gain during pregnancy.
It is perfect to want to recover your line, but do not forget that you just had a baby, your body must recover and, if you are going to breastfeed, it must also produce quality milk. For this reason, Haylie recommends the following for women who want to follow WMD while breastfeeding :
Follow the fast metabolism diet phases, but eating 5 servings of fruit each day, even at F2. In Phase 2 you can choose fruits with a low glycemic index, but if your milk production decreases switch to fruits with a higher glycemic index.
IMPORTANT: Always check with your doctor before making any changes to your diet.
CHAPTER 6: Whoops! I have Skipped The Diet
We are human, so sometimes it can happen that in moments of distraction or weakness we skip the diet.
If you skip the diet, don’t worry, there is a solution : the first thing is not to stress, stress makes you fat! Then you can assess the error.
When dieting for a long time, there are many occasions where it is difficult to follow it: family meals where taking a tupperware would be fatal, social events that require toasting with a glass of champagne, birthday cakes, etc. How are you going to give up all that?
It is simply impossible.
In fact, one of the main reasons why many diets do not work is precisely not to take into account human psychology .
A simple way to solve this problem is to stop seeing the Fast Metabolism Diet as a diet and see it as a change in the way you eat. In this way, it will be much easier for you to return to the Fast Metabolism Diet after a day of excesses.
What to do if you skip the diet
First, you have to consider if you are in the first cycle (that is, the first time you do the diet) since it is the one that will repair your metabolism and therefore the most important.
- If you are in your first cycle: continue with the Fast Metabolism Diet normally and on the next F1 day, start counting the 28 days again.
- If you are not in your first cycle: continue with the Fast Metabolism Diet normally.
- Whatever mistake you make, my advice is always: DO NOT go off the diet. The second thing is to assess how serious the slip has been:
Sometimes it can happen that a food is eaten in the phase that does not touch, for example eating broccoli in F3. In this case, the error is very small, calmly follow the diet without worrying.
However, if the mistake made is that you have gone to McDonalds, the next day you can do a day of F2, as it will help you compensate for the excess of the previous day, and then continue with the diet normally.
In CHAPTER 10 of the book, there is a section with very interesting tips on this topic that I advise you to read with special attention.
CHAPTER 7: Phase 4: Maintenance
If you’ve already read about the Fast Metabolism Diet, you may be familiar with the “Maintenance Phase” or “Phase 4”. This phase is much freer since the goal is to maintain your ideal weight by eating healthy.
To maintain an ideal weight it is important not to fall into old unhealthy habits, such as junk food or lack of exercise. Therefore, incorporating the healthy habits of the Fast Metabolism Diet into your day to day will help you during and after the diet.
Remember that it is very important that you finish the first 28-day cycle even if you reach your goal earlier, since repairing your metabolism is the main goal of The Fast Metabolism Diet, and we need at least 28 days.
I have already achieved my goal. Now what?
First of all: congratulations!
If you have already achieved your goal, your turn now is to keep it. For this, there is an additional maintenance phase or “Phase 4”.
Phase 4 does not have a specific scheme like the rest, it is much freer, the ideal in fact is that each person adapts this phase to their life. The most important thing is that you do not return to bad habits and that you continue to eat real food. Consists in:
- Eat freely all allowed foods, but following the food map of Phase 3.
- Avoid, as far as possible, prohibited foods and leave them only for occasional consumption.
- If you have parties, dinners, weddings or any other event in which you already know that there will be unhealthy food, don’t worry, enjoy your dinner and follow the advice you will find in CHAPTER 10 of the book.
- Keep exercising regularly.
- Easy right?
Haylie says that if after finishing the Fast Metabolism Diet you want to do a transition period you can continue following the phases, but adding oil in F1 and F2.
Tip: It can be very useful to do a week or a cycle of Fast Metabolism Diet from time to time throughout the year, to help our metabolism a little. There are those who do 1 week each month following the phases (F1, F2, and F3), who do a complete cycle every three months, or even who do only 1 cycle a year.
Now, the question that all of you will be asking yourself: So I will not be able to consume foods outside of The Fast Metabolism Diet anymore?
The answer is YES, we can go back to consuming prohibited foods such as cheese or wine, although they should not be part of our daily diet. Better to leave the forbidden foods for specific occasions and eat to eat as healthy as possible in our day today.
How can I make sure that I don’t gain weight again?
The most important thing obviously is to continue eating healthy without reverting to old bad habits. In addition, Haylie in this post proposes to use the Fast Metabolism Diet in a timely manner to keep our metabolism accelerated. I personally like the 1 week FAST METABOLISM DIET formula every month, but there are many options:
- Every week, you can do Monday F1, Tuesday F2 and Wednesday F3, and the rest of the maintenance days.
- Every month, you can do 1 week of Fast Metabolism Diet and the rest of the maintenance weeks.
- Each quarter, you can do 1 cycle of Fast Metabolism Diet and the other two months of maintenance.
- But above all, don’t forget that you can do the Fast Metabolism Diet every time you need it, and you don’t have to do 1 whole cycle, you can do a single week.
EXTRA CHAPTER: Fast Metabolism Diet Quick Tips
In this chapter, I’ll show you some quick tricks that I’ve learned over the years I’ve been doing the Fast Metabolism Diet.
I do not have time to cook
I’ll never tire of saying it: WFD can be as easy or hard as you want.
Many times when starting this diet, people believe that they will have to spend the whole day in the kitchen, who says? Obviously, Haylie encourages cooking and not buying ready-made food, yet perfectly healthy andFast Metabolism Diet-compliant dishes can be prepared in a few minutes. Tips:
- In F1, as grain, you can choose foods that do not require cooking, such as rolled oats(perfect for smoothies) and cereal bread allowed ( rye bread, sprouted wheat bread, etc.), or that have a very short cooking time, such as pasta with permitted cereals (whole-grain spelled pasta, buckwheat pasta, noodles by Arroz integral, etc.).
- In F1 and F3, you can buy cooked legumes, which are very comfortable, always reading the label first to check that they do not contain sugar or other prohibited foods.
- At F2, you can opt for ready-made snacks such as smoked salmon or natural light tuna, or they cook quickly, like boiled egg whites.
- In all phases, you can buy vegetables that can be eaten raw, such as lettuce, carrots, peppers, radishes, celery, tomatoes, spinach, etc … IMPORTANT: remember to respect the phases.
- The freezer is an ally: you can spend a day cooking and freezing food in several portions.
I want to eat at a restaurant
Many restaurants you know maybe Fast Metabolism Diet compliant if you know what to order. Although it will be difficult to respect the portions, the key is to avoid prohibited foods and be clear about the phases and allowed foods.
Haylie says that it is better to see the restaurant menu and choose what to eat before going, so you can choose the most appropriate food with all the peace of mind. When you are in the restaurant, ask the waiter questions to make sure that the dishes you have chosen do not contain prohibited foods, and if necessary ask that your dish be without oil/sauce or any other seasoning that you cannot eat. Many dishes are accompanied by potatoes, ask to change the potatoes for a salad or some vegetables. Always avoid bread baskets.
Some examples of restaurants:-
In all phases, you can go to eat at a brasserie. As a first, you can order a salad or grilled vegetables and as a second, ask for meat or fish. If it is accompanied by potatoes, ask if they can change it for a green salad or some other vegetable.
- Phase 1: remember to ask that all your dishes be without oil, sauces, or dressings of any kind, you can take your own homemade dressing. Avoid the restaurant’s bread, but take a slice of bread allowed. Most restaurants have fruit among the dessert options, ask for an appropriate fruit for this phase or, if this option is not available, bring your own fruit.
- Phase 2: remember to ask that all your dishes be without oil, sauces, or dressings of any kind, you can take your own homemade dressing.
- Phase 3: remember to ask that all your dishes be without oil, sauces, or dressings of any kind, and personally dress your plate with the amount of oil you have. In this phase, you can also order a salad that contains olives or nuts. Most restaurants have fruit among the dessert options, ask for an appropriate fruit for this phase or, if this option is not available, bring your own fruit.
Despite what you might think, a good quality Japanese restaurant (not all you can eat Japanese) can be a very good option. At all stages, you can order tuna or other permitted fish sashimi and a green salad without any dressings of any kind.
- Phase 1: find out about the rice they use in the restaurant, more than one uses mixtures of white and brown rice, if this is the case, ask them to prepare a bowl of only boiled brown rice. Cover it with your tuna sashimi, tamari sauce, wasabi (make sure it does not contain sugar), and some rocket leaves or lettuce from your salad and you will have a delicious dish. Most restaurants have fruit among the dessert options, ask for an appropriate fruit for this phase or, if this option is not available, bring your own fruit.
- Phase 2: as I said before, in Phase 2 you can order a tuna or other fish sashimi, or smoked salmon if they have one. If you are ovo-Lacto vegetarian or vegan, choose edamame as a protein, it is without a doubt the best option. Ginger, daikon, bok choy, and bok choy are widely used in Japanese cuisine and they are all allowed in F2, so don’t forget to ask for these vegetables to be put on your plate.
- Phase 3: in this phase, you can also eat salmon sashimi and you can ask to put seaweed, sesame (sesame), and avocado on your salad. Another good option can be a vegetable wok, but make sure they use a permitted oil and do not contain sugar or soy. Most restaurants have fruit among the dessert options, ask for an appropriate fruit for this phase or, if this option is not available, bring your own fruit.
Vegetarian or vegan restaurants
Most vegetarian or vegan restaurants tend to choose high-quality and BIO products, for this reason, they can be a good option to go to eat, even so, you have to pay close attention to the ingredients since normally many dishes contain soy.
- Phase 1: a very good option for this phase is a poke bowl or salad. It can be made of quinoa or brown rice and it can have vegetables, legumes, and even fruit, many salads have pineapple, mango, or apple, perfect for Phase 1. Ask that it not have any type of dressing and season it with tamari sauce or balsamic vinegar.
- Phase 2: you can eat here only if you are vegetarian or vegan ovo-lacto. Order a green salad with tofu, tempeh, or edamame and a variety of vegetables like asparagus, bell peppers, onion, and broccoli.
- Phase 3: you can order a salad or a poke bowl as in F1, but remember that the grain only goes at dinner and that it cannot be brown rice since it is not allowed in F3. If your plate has fruits that are not allowed in this phase, ask them not to put them or to change them for another phase, remember that fruit does not go at dinner. Your plate may also include avocado, guacamole, hummus, tahini, oil, nuts, and other healthy fats allowed.
Free buffet (Mediterranean)
These types of restaurants do not usually use very high-quality products, so I do not advise going often, even so, if one day you find yourself going to an all-you-can-eat buffet, you can eat without problems by following these instructions:
- Phase 1: Stay away from bread, pasta, and white rice and choose increasingly popular quinoa or brown rice, but take a permitted slice of bread in case these options aren’t available. Choose phase vegetables and legumes or lean meat to grill, without oil. Don’t forget the phase fruit in the meal (lunch).
- Phase 2: select a permitted cut of meat or fish and ask for it to be grilled without oil or other fats, accompany it with phase vegetables. If you are an ovo-lacto vegetarian, choose hard-boiled eggs, but eat only the whites.
- Phase 3: choose phase vegetables accompanied by meat, fish, legumes or eggs and add healthy fats such as allowed oil, olives, nuts or avocado. Add quinoa if you are at dinner or fruits allowed if you are at food (lunch). Phase 3 fruits can be difficult to find in a restaurant of this type, take a bag with blueberry or another fruit from F3.
How to survive Phase 2 without dying trying
Phase 2 is probably the most hated Phase fast Metabolism Diet by far.
Even so, it is a fundamental phase for the functioning of the Fast Metabolism Diet and the loss of weight, which means, that one way or another we have to find a way to overcome it.
In these years that I have been with the Fast Metabolism Diet, I have learned a few tricks:
- The breakfast is one of the hardest points as vegetables and meat breakfast is not for everyone. If breakfast is also one of your biggest problems in F2, I recommend exchanging breakfast for the mid-morning snack, since in the F2 snacks the vegetables are optional. Then have something sweet and appetizing for breakfast like my Mayan-style spiced chocolate or my protein muffins.
- Another common problem in Phase 2 is feeling weak, which is perfectly normal; for this reason, Haylie recommends the following:
- Eat plenty of phase vegetables to help your body flush out toxins and balance your pH;
- Take milk thistle and chlorella to help your liver and gastrointestinal tract process toxins;
- Use lots of lemon and lime to balance your pH;
- If necessary, take a multivitamin and potassium to ensure that you are not missing anything. Always consult your doctor.
Finally, learn to manage your hunger and anxiety, so you don’t end up bingeing.
- Do not entertain doubts
- Do not entertain doubts
- Once you get used to this diet it will become your lifestyle but at first, it can be a bit complex. For this reason, it is important that you have help and support in case of need.
Now it’s your turn
This is all the information you need to follow The Fast Metabolism Diet successfully. I hope you have found it useful 🙂
- Is there a recipe that you would like to adapt to the Fast Metabolism Diet?
- Do you have any doubt?
Let me know by writing a quick comment below.