On this article we will see how to cook Slow cooker recipes pork shoulder and We have cooked many pork popsicles to make pulled pork in different versions, but I had long wanted to make a recipe pulling classic – but not so much – served in its sauce and filleted.
This orange pork shoulder has been a success at home, and we have given it the category of “would serve for Christmas and great occasions”. The good thing about this dish is that it also serves you for a working Wednesday, which is when we put it on our table.
It is classic in terms of presentation – in fillets, bathed in a toasted sauce – but not very classic in terms of its flavor. It tastes like spiced orange, that cumin, fenugreek, cardamom, nutmeg, star anise and cinnamon do not pass through here by chance. Fenugreek is the spice that can cost you the most to find. If you don’t have it or can’t find it, don’t wear it. The others are more common on supermarket shelves and in bulk spice stores.
Time, as in all recipes, is indicative. It took me seven hours in BAJA to get a tender and juicy meat. The time is somewhat shorter than that of the pulled pork, because in this recipe it is better that the meat does not fall apart, since cutting it into fillets would be very complicated if we reached the cooking point of the pulled pork.
In this recipe it is not necessary that the palette has bone. Although I always recommend that the bone be preserved when making pulled pork, because it protects the meat and makes it juicier, in this case filleting becomes more complicated if the piece has bone. What is not negotiable is the skin: do not remove it under any circumstances, because it allows the meat not to dry out and retain more juiciness. Removing it is very easy once cooked.
Read also ; The best Slow cooker recipes for pork loin
Ingredients for Slow cooker recipes pork shoulder
- 1 pork shoulder of 2.5 kg approx
- ▢3 oranges
- ▢1 tablespoon cane sugar
- ▢Thyme and fresh rosemary
- ▢½ teaspoon cinnamon dessert powder
- ▢½ teaspoon cumin dessert powder
- ▢¼ dessert teaspoon of ground black pepper
- ▢¼ dessert teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- ▢¼ teaspoon fenugreek dessert powder
- ▢2 green cardamom pods
- ▢3 stars of star anise
- ▢Extra virgin olive oil
- ▢2 tablespoons potato starch thickener
Elaboration for :
- Prick the cloves on the entire surface of the skin of the palette as you see in the photograph below the recipe. You can make an incision with a sharp knife to make it easier to insert them, since the skin is very thick.
- If you wish, you can make some shallow cuts in the skin creating some squares as seen in the photograph, but it is not strictly necessary.
- Open the cardamom pods and remove the seeds. Mash them in a mortar until they are like dust. Reservation.
- Chop the leaves of rosemary and thyme until you get a tablespoon of chopped grass. Reservation.
- Squeeze the three oranges and mix the juice with the spices, herbs, cane sugar, two tablespoons of oil, a dessert teaspoon of salt and star anise.
- Place the pallet in a zip-closure bag of about 5 or 6 liters capacity, pour the previous mixture, remove as much air as possible from the bag and close it.
- Let it sit for a minimum of 8 hours and a maximum of 24 in the refrigerator.
- Turn the bag over from time to time so that the marinade is distributed equally.
- Take out the shoulder and reserve all the marinade in the refrigerator: you will use it to make the sauce at the end.
- Place the paddle on the slow cooker. If you have an extendable steamer to separate it from the bottom, you can use it.
- Cook for 7 hours in LOW or until meat is cooked and tender.
- Take the paddle out of the slow cooker and let it lose heat.
- Collect the juices that will be at the bottom of the slow cooker and join them in a casserole with the orange marinade.
- Add the potato starch thickener and cook for a few minutes over high heat until it has gained a little thickness. Strain the sauce and set aside.
- Remove the thick skin from the shoulder* and cut the meat into fillets with a very sharp knife.
- Place the fillets in the sauce, let the whole heat over low heat and serve with mashed potatoes or other garnishes to your liking.